The coolest part of all of this (well, besides helping a very worthy cause)? If you donate, you may win a prize! Depending on how much you donate, you will be entered in a raffle for certain items (e.g. if you donate $20, you will be entered in a raffle to win one of several donated prizes in the $20 category).
The group has received over 100 prize donations thus far, and is still collecting donations, if anyone would like to donate a prize.
The prizes listed so far are pretty darned cool, and include:
- five lots of one signed and *DEDICATED* copy of Unseen Academicals by Sir Terry Pratchett (RARE, since Terry does not usually do dedications these days)
- a signed first edition hardcover of Wintersmith by Sir Terry Pratchett
- signed copies of Blood Muse (edited by Esther Friesner) and Death and the Librarian (written by Esther Friesner)
- full pass to LeakyCon 2011 events
- 20 pages of fiction edited by Cheryl Klein of Arthur A Levine Books
- Guest spot on Pottercast podcast
- signed copy of Movies in Fifteen Minutes, by cleolinda Jones
- signed copy of The Fug Awards, by the gals of www.gofugyourself.com
And much, much more.
The official press release is below.
JANUARY 21, 2010 - BROOKLYN, NY - Harry Potter fans and fans of other blockbuster books, movies, and tv series are gathering for a live fundraising webcast benefiting Partners in Health (http://www.standwithhaiti.org/haiti) this Saturday, January 23, 2010, on Livestream (http://www.thehpalliance.org/haiti) in support of Helping Haiti Heal, a home-grown effort to contribute to the growing humanitarian aid and charitable relief activities in Haiti. Starting at 2 P.M. EST, the four hour live event will feature a donation drive where donors have the opportunity to win prizes, several of the Internet's most popular podcasters, leaders and celebrities from various segments of popular culture, performers from popular book-based musical acts, interviews with civic leaders and Haitian Americans, and more.
"This community is uniting with other popular and vibrant fan communities to harness the energy of popular culture toward making a genuine difference in Haiti," says Andrew Slack, Executive Director of the Harry Potter Alliance. "We have chosen Partners In Health because they have written the book on addressing poverty in Haiti and will be with Haiti, rebuilding long after the initial effects of this recent earthquake subside."
The Helping Haiti Heal fundraising webcast aims to raise monetary funds for the benefit of the Haitian people through the donation drive of unique and personalized items donated by prominent musicians, authors, and actors.
Items up for auction include:
* Signed, dedicated, first edition novels by bestselling author Terry Pratchett.
* Signed books from Time Magazine's Lev Grossman, NY Times bestselling author Melissa Anelli, Movies in 15 Minutes author Cleolinda Jones, and Urban fantasy novelist Lilith Saintcrow, as well as young adult authors Karen Healey, Aprilynne Pike, Pam Bachorz, Lisa Mantchev, and many more.
* A signed Mega Book Pack of 30 novels from The 2009 Debutantes (http://www.feastofawesome.com/), including: Malindo Lo, Saundra Mitchell, Sarah Ockler, Michelle Zink, and Jackson Pearce.
* Guest spots on PotterCast and Hogwarts Radio.
* Signed CDs from such wizard rock bands as The Remus Lupins, The Whomping Willows, The Butterbeer Experience, and Oliver Boyd and the Rememberalls.
* Quality replica LightSaber based on Luke's from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.
* Full Access Registration to LeakyCon 2011, valued over $300.
* $200 Gift Certificate to Infinitus 2010.
* Limited edition, artist signed, Replica Slimer from Ghostbusters.
The fundraising webcast will also feature podcasting personalities from leading Harry Potter podcasts that reach well over 50,000 listeners: PotterCast (http://www.pottercast.com/), MuggleCast (http://www.mugglecast.com/), Hogwarts Radio (http://www.hogwartsradio.com/), FictionAlley (http://www.fictionalley.org/), and HPA’s PotterWatch (http://www.thehpalliance.org/category/potterwatch/); live performances from many wizard rockers; leaders in fan communities; personal interviews with Haitian-Americans about the importance of giving to Partners In Health; human rights activists; a representative from MIT's Media Lab discussing ways that we can donate our time using new media; and much more. It is the aim of Helping Haiti Heal to provide ideas and inspiration across fandoms to those with the desire to aid those affected by the earthquake. Together, we can help heal Haiti.
** Helping Haiti Heal is sponsored by The Harry Potter Alliance (http://www.thehpalliance.org/), The Leaky Cauldron (http://www.leakynews.com/), MuggleNet.com (http://www.mugglenet.com/), HPANA (http://www.hpana.com/), and FictionAlley (http://www.fictionalley.org/).